Today, Dr. Eric Lu provided a fascinating case of acute myeloid leukemia presenting with left pleuritic chest pain and left shoulder pain. A sample of the interesting take-aways:
- Peripheral blasts are NEVER normal-->emergent Heme consult
- Common complications of AML for which to screen:
- DIC --> INR, PTT, Plt, Fibrinogen
- TLS --> K, Cr, Phos, Cal, Uric Acid
- Leukostasis --> WBC >50-100k + symptoms (neuro findings, pulm findings)
- Functional neutropenia --> Viral, fungal, bacterial ppx. Treat fevers as neutropenic fever. Place in isolation.
- Prognosis for AML is heterogeneous and dependent primarily on tumor genetics, age of patient, and response to initial induction